Using Apple Hardware Test CD
Posted by UCS IT Support 4 on 24 April 2009 12:13 PM
Note: Please be sure to disconnect any external devices, printers, hard drives, scanners, and so on (other than the Apple keyboard and mouse) from your Apple Computer before starting up to Apple Hardware test and running the Diagnostic.
To start up your computer in Apple Hardware Test:
- If the computer is already on, insert the appropriate disc into the optical disc drive, then restart. If the computer is not on, turn it on and insert the disc as soon as possible after startup.
- Press and hold the "D" key before the gray startup screen appears.
- It takes a minute or so for Apple Hardware Test to start up and inspect your hardware configuration. While this is taking place, an icon appears on the screen:
When the process is complete, select your language and click the right arrow. If you aren't using a mouse, you can use the up and down arrows to select a language and then press the Return key.
- The Apple Hardware Test console appears. You can choose which sort of test or tests to perform:
- To perform all of the basic tests, click the Test button or press the "T" key or the Return key.
- To perform a more thorough diagnostic test, select the "Perform extended testing" checkbox under the Test button before you click the Test button.
Your test results will appear in the window in the bottom-right of the console.
The Hardware Profile tab of AHT provides specific information about your computer. To see this information, click the tab, then select a subject area on the left.
To exit AHT, click Restart or Shut Down at the bottom of the window. Remember that clicking Shut Down will not automatically eject the disc.